top of page

Rain Affects Millers & Red Sox Double Header

(Story courtesy Marc Smith, The Moose Jaw Miller Express were able to get in a game-and-a-half against the Regina Red Sox at Currie Field before the rain hit.

Moose Jaw dropped the opening game of their doubleheader, falling 3-1 to the Red Sox, but they held a 4-2 lead in the fifth inning in the second game when the rain came and the game was called off.

The two sides will complete the game next Wednesday when the Millers are back in Regina to take on the Red Sox.

The first game of the doubleheader saw the Millers spot the Red Sox a three-run lead in the first inning and they couldn’t scratch their way back into the game, despite holding them scoreless the rest of the way.

Regina’s first three batters reached to load the bases with no outs in the first inning. Justin Erlandson scored the first run, stealing home, and then Aden Campbell cashed in two more runs with a single to make it 3-0 after one.

Moose Jaw finally got on the board in the sixth inning on an RBI-groundout by Brooks Benson, but that would be as close as they would get as they stranded one runner on in the seventh.

Kobe Portillo took the loss on the mound for the Millers, going 5.1 innings, giving up three runs on four hits. He struck out three and walked three in his first start of the season.

Ragan Cole finished the final 2/3 of an inning.

Shoma Sasaki scored Moose Jaw’s only run and was 2-for-3 at the plate in the loss.

In the second game, the Red Sox again struck early, scoring two in the first inning, but Moose Jaw had an answer this time around, plating four runs in the fifth inning to take the lead before the game was called.

The Millers sent nine hitters to the plate in the fifth inning with Cutter McDowell driving in a pair with a single, Benson walked to bring around another run and then Cole Distler adding an RBI-single to cash in the fourth run.

Grant Westmoreland gave up two unearned runs on two hits over four innings of work. He finished with four strikeouts and three walks.

Travis Kuhn took over in the fifth before the game was called.

The Millers will be in Weyburn on Wednesday night before they head to Medicine Hat for games on Thursday and Friday.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Twitter Metallic
  • Facebook Metallic
  • YouTube Metallic
bottom of page